Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Create Account  

Community Update

(This post was last modified: 03-13-2019, 12:53 AM by B. Horner.)

[Image: Ip7qcKS.png]

190312 Community Update

2300 hrs

After another successful PvP we find ourselves moving towards our next historical operation - the Battle of Singapore - where we will play as part of the 22nd Australian Infantry Brigade. Between the time now and the start of the operation we will be conducting some training exercises in order to better ourselves for what is to come - JUNGLE WARFARE!

In the next few weeks our aim is to get current recruits through their training and to be fully evaluated. Any recruits that have not completed their module I and module II training should speak to their commanders in order to get these sorted. Depending on recruit attendance either a module I or module II session will be run on Sunday and then module III within a week or two - so it is super important to get in on this cycle so you don't have to wait a long time!

Our Cromwells are now fitted with x2 AN/PRC-77 radios. This is the same radio as the infantry and RAF and removes the digital radio from within the tanks. We are now aiming to get a radio within a command jeep, further improving our operational communications. I hope we can all appreciate the custom assets that we strive to provide to make the experience we offer not only unique but also the best within the WW2 allied community. 

A few changes will be occurring to the organisation of the group, these are mainly due to more WW2 documentation being found and understood. The first of these changes is the removal of the Platoon AT positions. We believe that Sections were comprised of 10 men (typically), however, one man from each section would be informally taken into Platoon HQ to act as a Bren Gunner and two AT riflemen. Whilst we are removing the AT positions we will be keeping the 9 man sections, unless we need to fit more people in then we can introduce the No.5 rifleman. This does not mean we will not have AT within the Platoon; a PIAT will now be distributed at Section level unless it is needed at HQ level, where HQ will absorb one member from each section. In early war where we do not have the PIAT we may also take two people for the Boys AT rifle. It may be necessary to take two members of No.2 Troop in order to field a Boys AT rifle or PIAT - all mission dependent.

The organisation of the medics is going to change ever so slightly. Whilst researching we found that medical personnel at Platoon level were not part of RAMC or 16th PFA, but were also not actual medics. Of all of the options, we could have chosen from we have decided to keep the medics (now named "Orderlies"). They will be more directly implemented into each platoon / company. They will be displayed alongside the element on the ORBAT and will not receive their own ORBAT page.

Going forward I would like to see applications from people regarding commanding positions (we always need commanders!) and also for wireless operators. As we expand we hope to open up the weapons platoon and specifically the mortar section; this change will require 1-3 new wireless operators. Please also be advised that applications for No.74 Squadron are also still open - know that this is an Officer appointment. I do want to stress for applications for commanding positions. Not only do we have multiple spots open now, but we will also have multiple commanding slots opening soon and it is vital we get these filled.

Modpack 12b will be released with a few changes, so be sure to download any new mods as soon as possible.

Upcoming events include the Singapore operation string and some more joint events in May (we are in very early planning stages). Note that after March 31st the UK will enter daylight savings and therefore the event times will be displayed in BST (GMT+1). 

As always please let me know your thoughts on the community, how we can improve, and if you have any questions, concerns, queries, or compliments. I'm sure I will post this an instantly think of something I have missed.

Ready for Anything,
Maj. B. Horner
Former Company Commander
B Company, 2nd Battalion

I think the Unit is in a good way. Some things that need to be improved in my opinion are first, the fastest End of the training for the Cadets so they can get in the ORBAT more quickly (maybe with a training in the middle of the week) and secondly more events (NOT trains) but always in an WW2 environment.

I agree with Olympus on the increased frequency of recruit training. We are a busy group and often have commitments which tie up our weekends with other units or our own events. Currently instructors often do take on impromptu mid-week training sessions with new members but it would be an interesting addition to see that practice standardized. Maybe a sign up sheet for new members every week for either module then if there is a demand an available instructor could run a module I or II on a Wednesday or something. I do recognize the value in having a lengthy training process as it shows us who is actually dedicated but I do feel it could be shortened a bit and kept around maybe a month at the most as we currently have recruits that have been in the unit for multiple months who due to scheduling conflicts have been unable to attend some of their own key training events through no fault of their own. Something to talk about.

(This post was last modified: 03-20-2019, 12:08 PM by N. Barden.)

I would say that part of the problem doesn't necessarily lie in the instructor's availability. I sure a lot of the current and ex-members of the unit could tell you I do a lot of mid-week sessions. I find it's more so Recruits not showing up seemingly not wanting to do training or be part of the unit. And when we make plans to do a certain Module training, and not have any recruits show up for it needing it, e.g. most of the recruits showing up have already got their Module I & II and therefore because we haven't planned for Module III to be enacted we can't play it out with those recruits and that's been holding us back the most. A lot of people joining then not showing up for the pre-planned trainings.

Lt. N. Barden
Platoon Commander
No.4 Platoon, B Company

I think the problem with recruits not showing up for training is that they simply do not use the forum enough and therefor do not read the events calendar. Yes i know that it is also posted on the discord days before the event and that you guys try to get in contact with them so not showing is uacceptable if not given a reason.
But what if you used the Steam group more? I know from other groups of various games that they will put out announcements the day before and several on the day of the event to make sure people who are playing something else remember to join in.
At the moment i don't see the steam group being used at all which potentially is wasted golden opportunity to get peoples attention.

It's something I've considered doing in the past but never had anyone really come to me and say "I'd like event posts via steam" - personally I find that I rarely ever see notifications from Steam groups. However, I think it could be a good venture and it would at least show more community activity to non-members.
Maj. B. Horner
Former Company Commander
B Company, 2nd Battalion